This week's post was writtien by Premier Neuro Therapy co-owner, Zach Michael.
It’s the holiday season and one of the season’s traditional songs inspired this week’s post.
“Joy To The World”
But just what is “joy” and how can we bring it to the world? Is it just another word for happiness?
Brene Brown, a research professor at the University of Houston explains the difference in her book “The Gifts of Imperfection.”
“People were quick to point out the difference between happiness and joy as the difference between a human emotion that’s connected to a circumstances and a spiritual way of engaging with the world that’s connected to practicing gratitude.”
In other words, happiness is something we experience when good things happen to us.
Joy is a state of being.
So how can we bring Joy To The World? It starts by experiencing the state of joy. When you experience joy, you can be the best version of yourself, and truly bring this state of being to the world.
Here’s 5 ways you can start cultivating a lifestyle of joy today
1. What are three things that made you happy today?
This is a question we ask every client before every session, and you’d be surprised at how hard it is to answer.
By dedicating a few minutes each day towards answering this question, you’ll start to reinforce pathways in the brain that seek gratitude. You’ll develop an attitude of gratitude, and once you do, you’ll be well on your way to a state of joy.
2. Stop comparing yourself to others
The social media world makes it way too easy to compare ourselves to others. But social media is only a reflection of the best 5% of everyone’s lives. Meanwhile, the other 95% of everyone’s life is just as full of ups, downs, twists, turns, and even mundaneness as yours.
The challenge here is to have confidence in your own efforts. Constantly reinforce the self-belief that you are doing the best you can. If you don’t believe you’re doing the best you can, be honest with yourself and start doing it!
3. Write a thank you note
When’s the last time you sat down to send a hand written thank you note? Writing a note will allow you to reflect on and re-experience a time when someone went out of their way to do something positive for your life.
When you reflect and relive these experiences, your brain will be constantly on the look out for more opportunities to be grateful.
Plus, you’ll also make the receiver’s day when they open the note!
4 Spend time with joyous people
As one of my favorite podcast hosts John Lee Dumas (and I’m sure many before him) says:
“You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.”
Plain and simple – your attitude will be influenced by the people you spend with. If you want to develop a joyous state of being (and bring Joy To The World), make sure you’re spending time with joyous people.
On the flip side, evaluate the people you’re spending the most time with. Do they uplift you or bring you down?
5. Know who you are
At the end of the day, at the center of joy, is knowing who you are. What is your mission? What are you trying to achieve? What are your values? How are you impacting others?
Knowing the answers to these questions will help you to stay focused and feel less of an urge to compare yourself to others.
Always strive to be the highest version of yourself, and you will bring Joy To The World.
About the Author
Evan Lewis is a nationwide leader in Neuro Therapy and founded the Baltimore area's only specialist Neuro Therapy facility.
Download now: 7 Quick & Easy Tips To Reduce Back Pain (without painkillers,, injections, or seeing the doctor)!